Monday, December 18, 2006

Happy Birthday Sweetheart

Saturday, my baby turned 9 years old. That's so hard for me to get ahold of. One more year, and she will be sprinting towards becoming a teenager - that's a thought I just can't handle at this point.

Julia is such a special girl, and I don't say that only because she's mine. If everyone was really able to get to know her the way I do...her laughter, her sense of humor, her quick witt....to watch her play, and imagine, and dream, you would think she is special, too.

It is suprising to me to see doubts about herself in her at such a young age. Being self-conscious about her freckles, wanting to please, wearing her heart on her sleeve and being upset if you don't take it and accept the love she's offering, I worry about her.

However, I have been noticing lately that she has learned to do something really special at such a young age. She has learned how to pray....to really talk to God. Not like He's some big, bad King sitting on his throne ready to give out punishment, or like He's some genie in a bottle there to fulfill her every wish, but to really talk to Him like He's sitting next to her in the chair beside her and they're having a conversation. Her prayers never cease to amaze me, especially the depth of them sometime.

This year when I wrote her birthday letter, I reminded her of her ability to pray, and how important it will be to her later in life as she has to deal with things that require us to run to the Savior for help. She will already know how to touch Him by simply saying His name and knowing He's right there.

I also reminded her of how happy I was when she was born, because she made our family complete, and she still makes it complete today.

I am so thankful for this special little girl that God gave us, and I cherish her everyday. How blessed I am to be her Mom!

Blessings!
Joy

No comments: