Tuesday, June 05, 2007

On Seeking God

I thought I would share the devotion I am meditating on this week. It comes from my "Busy Mom's Guide to Wisdom" journal by Lisa Whelchel. In this book, you are given a different proverb each week, and a short insight to pray and think over during the week. Here's where I'm at:

You have to want to KNOW God
more than anything else in the
world. Worship Him and actually
look for Him, and you WILL find Him.
Proverbs 2:4-5, paraphrased.

"If I offered you a parenting book that had all the answers you've ever wanted regarding how to raise the healthiest, happiest, and godliest children ever, would you devour that book, or would you leave it on the nightstand for days on end without picking it up? What if I gave you a map and told you that all you had to do was follow the directions on the map, grab a shovel, and dig deep, then you would surely find untold wealth; what would you do? I doubt you'd be too busy or think the map was too old to pay attention to or decide it wasn't worth the time and energy necessary to dig for it. And yet, too often, that's how we respond to the offer to know God and to find the wealth of wisdom He promises. Do we not think the opportunity to personally know the Creator of the universe is worth a little effort? I would think that having infinite wisdom available to us would be pretty valuable. You do too? Great -- then pick up the nearest Bible and dig. There's treasure just waiting to be found."

There is something just so exciting about scripture coming alive to me. I still marvel at how I can be feeling a certain way, or needing reassurances, and open the Word and start reading and the words just leap off of the page to my heart, giving me that calm reassurance that I need to keep on going. And I am at the place in my life where I just want to know Him more than anything. I want Him, and His knowledge, and His ways, because I've tried it on my own, and Lord knows that my ways only work for a little while. But His ways and thoughts are so much higher than mine. So in my meditating this week, I am praying and planning how I can get more of Him. It may sound weird to say I'm planning to get more of God, but I have found that in my crazy, busy, schedule jam-packed filled life, if I don't plan to spend time with God, I miss out on that special time with Him.

So I'm worshipping, and looking for Him. The best part of all is that He is just waiting to be found.

Joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This really solved my problem, thank you!.