Saturday, October 14, 2006

A moment of joy

Have you ever been in a moment and known that it was a perfect moment - while you were in it? I had that happen to me a couple of weeks ago.

It happened a couple of Saturdays ago when we had planned a family outing with Joel's travel soccer team to go to watch the UNCG men's soccer team play at their homecoming game against Elon. My friend Laura and her husband David were unable to go, so I offered to let their son Corey go with us so he wouldn't have to miss out. Then while I was at a wedding on Saturday afternoon, Joel asked his girlfriend of the moment Peyton and their friend that lived down the street from us, Kacie, to go as well since we had two extra tickets.

So here the seven of us pack up and go (it's a good thing we just upgraded to a bigger vehicle!) to dinner, a fast ride to Greensboro, a great soccer game (UNCG won!) and ice cream at McDonald's afterward with me wondering just what I had gotten myself into. However, I couldn't have asked for more than the night we had. The kids behaved perfectly (yes, even mine) and had such a great time.

My moment of joy happened on the way home. We had turned the radio to Saturday night at the Disco (the only station we could all agree on) and as soon as we did, "Carwash" filled the vehicle and before you know it there were 5 kids in the back singing and laughing, dancing as much as they could in their seats. Greg looked over at me and smiled and grabbed my hand, and all of a sudden I knew I was in a perfect moment. A moment when all of the rest of the world faded away and there was nothing else but what was immediately around me. A moment of joy.

I am so thankful for that moment. But more than that, I am thankful that I recognized the moment while I was in it and was able to give thanks to the Lord for allowing me such a special gift. When it seems like my life is topsy-turvy and that I've given out until there's nothing left to give, I am given a most special gift that no amount of money could buy.

Lord, may I be so blessed as to have many, many more such moments and never forget to thank You for each one.

Blessings!
Joy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful there are many "moments of Joy" if we will just reach out for them. As I said before, treasure all those moments.

Anonymous said...

I don't know all the "blog" jargon, but I just read your first entries and cried. I could relate to almost every word. You are a "joy" to me!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for another spacious place moment.